Sunday, February 26, 2012

The elixir


The elixir

“The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” a tale of a man capable of switching from good to evil from a simple swig of his magic potion, a pretty useful trick if you ask me.  However, look no further, this magic potion may be closer than you think, it may even be in your home right now. I’m talking about beverages with alcohol in them of course. I have no personal experience with alcohol but I have lived a considerable amount of time with people who do, so I consider myself knowledgeable to so degree on the subject. Alcohol may not switch someone from good to evil but it will certainly have an effect on a person’s personality. From shy to outgoing or passive to angry, however big or slight the switch is, it’s there and that’s what causes the regret the next morning. For a closer look at the comparison I want to list what happens to Dr. Jekyll after he drinks his potion and after we drink ours.

- Dr. Jekyll drinks his potion and he becomes Hyde, his evil personality, switching both appearances and mental state. He feels no regret from the actions he does, but the regret is there when it’s time to become Dr. Jekyll again (after Hyde murders “what’s-his-face”). Even though he knows he is causing mischief and he knows that it is causing problems for himself (changing without the potion) he gives into temptation still drinks the potion (before the murder).

- drinking alcohol causes a change in people’s personality, however, not switching appearances.  One may not have regret for their actions after they've drank a few, but I’m sure it’s there in the morning, assuming they've remembered. And of course the constant use of alcohol despite the health risks.

 I'd show a picture but most pictures of drunks are kinda inappropriate. However if you really want to see some funny ones:  http://www.funatiq.com/simply-funny/hilarious-photos-with-drunk-people/

** I’m aware that this doesn’t apply to alcohol when it is drunk (drank, drunken…) in moderation.

1 comment:

  1. Haha I really like how you connected having a dual personality to the state of being drunk. Although you can say that about any other drug taken in abundance. I would say it has an even bigger impact if you are addicted to heroin, cocaine, or pills.

    But well done in connecting the two!

    ReplyDelete